Northside Historic District: one of the oldest standing commercial
and residential districts west of the Alleghenies encompassing Market,
Front and Church Streets; the district contains numerous historic
structures, many of which are antebellum. Front Street, fomerly
the Nemacolin Trail, is lined with many late 18th and early 19th
century buildings. Principal architectural styles in the district
are vernacular versions of the Federal, Greek and Colonial Revival.
Italianate, Gothic Revival and Craftsman bungalow are secondary.
The first and last meeting of the Whiskey
Rebellion were held at the Blackhorse Tavern located on Front
Street. Walking and driving tours available. National Register Site.
Historic Church of St. Peter built in 1845, an example of Gothic
Revival architecture of hand hewn, locally quarried stone. Stained
glass windows which have 32 different shades of blue relate the
ecclesiastical history of the Catholic Church since 1754. A side
alter window contains over 120 pieces of glass per square foot,
In anticipation of the church becoming a cathedral, a burial crypt
was built beneath the floor. Shaffner and Church Streets. Tours
available, 724-785-7781. National Register Site.
Christ Episcopal Church built 1859 of cut sandstone with a steeply
pitched state roof, the church features stained glass tracery windows,
stone buttresses and a crenelated bell tower. Prominent historic
figures of Brownsville including Thomas Brown, founder of the town,
Jacob Bowman, who established the first trading post and Nemacolin
Castle, are buried here. Church Street.
First United Methodist Church. The original stone church was built
in 1804; present brick church built in 1861. Church Street.
Nemacolin Castle was built near
the site of Old Fort Burd in 1789 as a frontier trading post, it
later became the historic home of the Jacob Bowman family. Tours
begin in the frontier trading post built in 1789 and continue through
the early and mid 1800's additions including an elegant Victorian
wing. The 22 rooms, furnished with antique furniture and household
items typical of the period represent architectural trends and family
living of the past two centuries. Between Front and Brashear Streets
overlooking the Monongahela River. Open Tuesday through Sunday,
Memorial Day to Labor Day. Weekends Easter through mid-October.
Call 724-785-6882. Admission Fee. National Register Site.
Brownsville Downtown Commercial Historic District "The Neck" extends
from Albany Road to Arch Street and contains numerous structures
including the Flatiron Building,
built circa 1835 and undergoing preservation/renovation to be used
as an interpretive center for the National Road Heritage Park, Steel
Industry Heritage Park, and the History of Brownsville.
Dunlap's Creek Bridge Dedicated
July 4, 1839 and heralded as the first cast iron bridge built in
the United States, it is still in use today with no weight restrictions.
This bridge has received five historical and engineering awards.
Route 40, National Road, over Dunlap's Creek. National Register
Public Wharf From this location the steamboat "Enterprise", built
by Daniel French and piloted by Captain
Henry M. Shreve, departed in 1814 for Pittsburgh and on to New
Orleans. This steamboat was the first to make this trip and return
to Pittsburgh under its own power. This wharf was used extensively
by packet boats in the 1800's and early 1900's. Although some of
the wharf is visible, plans for complete restoration are underway.
Located at Bank Street on the Monongahela River.