the center of industry and transportation, the city retains its
opulent neighborhoods and industrial flavor. Colonel Crawford Cabin/Trail
Head Park A 1976 reconstruction of the 1766 cabin of Col. Crawford,
hero of the early Indian War, Col. Crawford also scouted for George
Washington, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and was one
of the first Westmoreland County judges.
Yough River Park serves as the trailhead of the Hike/Bike Trail,
and is the site where historic Braddock's Road fords the Yough River.
Automatic infomation tape available. Located off Route 119 in Connellsville
at the base of the Youghiogheny River.
Free Public Library/ Historic Churches Tour. The sandstone structure
is highlighted by the statue of Colonel William Crawford, one of
the city's original settlers. A Revolutionary War hero, he was reportedly
burned at the stake by Indians when he attempted to settle an uprising.
The Library was given to the city by Andrew Carnegie, founder of
Carnegie Steel, which later became H.C. Frick and then US Steel.
Video of walking tour of historic area churches is available here.
South Pittsburgh Street, Connellsville, M&W 9 AM-8 PM, T&TH 9 AM-5
PM, Sat. 10 AM-2 PM Phone 724-628-1380 National Register Site
Check out the in-depth coverage at Fay-West
Online. Michael McCumber has done an outstanding job of capturing
Driving tour of Connellsville Area
Amory - Built in 1907, it has continually provided services to soldiers
from WWI to the present. Listed on the National Register as the
oldest armory in the area. Washington Avenue.
Olympic Oak Tree - Brought from the Black Forest of Germany after
the competition by Connellsville native and Olympic gold gedalist,
John Woodruff. Plaques dedicated to Woodruff and Heisman Trophy
winner John Lujack will be placed on this site. South Arch Street
and Coke Era Homes - View the beautiful homes that demonstrate the
wealth and opulence of early industrial Connellsville. 500 Block
of Pittsburgh Street
S.E. Porter Home - First Cinematographer to film a story with a
theme or plot. First film was "The Great Train Robbery". Fairview
and Prospect Streets.
Trust Bank - First bank to close during the depression. The bank
is located across the corner from a building with a cast iron front.
Corner of Crawford Avenue and Pittsburgh Street.
Connellsville Post Office - Built in 1911 National Register site.
North Pittsburgh Street
Memorial Plaque to the Connellsville Canteen Ladies. The Canteen
where dedicated volunteers greeted soldiers traveling to and from
WWII was located on the site of the plaque.