When George Washington owned a portion of the land that is now
Perryopolis, it was destined for a major role in history: Washington
had planned to make it the capital of the United States and had
even drawn up specific plans for the layout of the streets. These
plans didn't materialize because Washington's estate sold the land
after his death and history passed the small town by. In 1814 Perryopolis,
previously known as New Boston, was officially laid out using Washington's
plans and named for Oliver Hazard Perry for his victory on lake
Erie during the War of 1812.
George Washington purchased 1,644 acres here when land first became
available. He visited in 1770 and said, "as fine a land as I have
ever seen, a great deal of rich meadow; it is well watered and has
a valuable mill seat." The mill would eventually be completed in
1776. Once the mill was finished, it encouraged other business to
come to the area to support and augment the business of the mill.
16 marked sites including the Perryopolis Historic Area. Two blocks
surrounding the town center diamond feature:
State Bank Museum Built 1814, housing items of early Perryopolis.
Plans are to restore front to an early 1800's Jacksonian bank. Donations.
Fuller Frazier House Built circa 1815, being refurbished in
early Victorian period; office of Perryopolis Area Heritage Society,
Blacksmith Shop Oldest frame blacksmith shop still standing
in USA. Interior and bellows intact.
House A two story log house built circa 1820, reconstructed
in 1970's, Currently an information center and craft/souvenir shop.
Nicholas Byzantine Church Built in 1912, it features mural and
crystal chandelier from Czechoslovakia; bell, which must be rung
in unison by two people, was brought from Moscow.
Quaker Church Meeting House & Cemetery Stone chapel intact,
door and windows are boarded up. Headstones dating to late 1700's.
Indian Rock Carvings Dating to 1400's, located one mile
Just outside of town is Washington
Grist Mill Park, where a host of other historic attractions