Walking tour brochures are available by contacting the Uniontown
Downtown Business Authority at 724.438.4289. Historic buildings,
churches, and houses date back to two eras of great prosperity,
National Road days, 1818-1853; and the Coal and Coke Boom, 1880-1950.
The historic district, centered on Main and lower Morgantown Streets,
encompasses the original area of the town which was founded July
4, 1776 (sharing its birthday with the nation) and became the county
seat of the new County of Fayette seven years later.
Fayette County Courthouse with its tall clock tower, the third to
occupy the same spot, is an outstanding example of Richardsonian
Romanesque architecture, built in 1891-92. It has in the lobby an
eight-foot wooden statue of Lafayette, carved in 1847 by David Blythe,
who became one of the outstanding native-scenes artists of his century.
The statue periodically goes traveling to museums and art exhibits.
Courthouse open 8 AM to 4:30 PM Monday through Friday.
ornate State Theatre Center for the Arts is a 1,600 seat movie/vaudeville theater currently undergoing a
multimillion dollar renovation to restore it to its original splendor.
Offering professional programs in the artistic disciplines including
opera, ballet, symphony, modern dance, family and children's programs,
Broadway musicals, big bands, and comedy, the State Theatre is the
centerpiece of a planned cultural revival of the downtown area.
11 story Fayette Bank Building, with its unique "round corner,"
is a turn-of-the-century monument to its builder, the quintessential
coal baron, J.V Thompson.
west on Main Street, the White Swan apartments for the elderly perpetuate
the name which first appeared on a tavern in 1805.
behind it is the Old West School, a log cabin built about 1820.
In the same vicinity, on Main, is the VFW Home, site of the birthplace
and boyhood home of General George C. Marshall, Army chief of staff
in World War II, Secretary of State and Defense, and Nobel Prize
winner. A memorial in his honor will be built on the triangular
plot across the Street, fronted by the World War I "doughboy" monument.
United Presbyterian Church, Fayette and Morgantown Streets was built
in 1894 in Richardsonian Romanesque architecture featuring round
stone arches, intricate stone carvings, tall center tower and seven
Tiffany stained glass windows. This was the home church of J.V.
Thompson, Uniontown's leading coal baron.
Peter's Episcopal Church, 60 Morgantown Street. Built in 1884 in
14th Century English Gothic, it features a Norman tower without
a spire, an intricate patterned slate roof, and one Tiffany window.
This was the home church of General George C. Marshall.
Bethel Baptist Church, 47 West Fayette Street. Built in 1902, the
entire complex is a unifom example of Gothic Revival architecture.
This congegation descends from the first organized church of any
denomination west of the Allegheny Mountains, founded in 1770.
United Methodist Church, South Beeson Avenue. Dedicated in 1919,
built of Hummelstown brownstone, the church features Tiffany stained
glass windows. This congregation descends from the first Methodist
church in Uniontown, founded in 1785.
Cemetery, 1791, Peter and Arch Streets. (Part of historic district)
Old Settlers Public Cemetery, North Pennsylvania and Bailey Avenues