Village of Hopwood... Pearl of the Pike
the early to mid 1800s, the National
Road, now US 40, was the main east-west route of the new nation...
and a very important one as the nation expanded westward. Westbound
travelers with horses, wagons, and livestock would have first had
to cross through a hundred or more miles of the Allegheny Mountains.
At the foot of the final major ridge lay the Village of Hopwood,
founded in 1791. Hopwood, known as the pearl of the pike,
was a major resting stop for traffic in both directions and hence
a site of considerable commerce.
has evolved with the times. Yet many structures from the earlier
era of the National Road remain. Because of their characteristic
stone construction, most structures are easily identifiable. Prominent
are the Chez Girard restaurant and ??? Gift Shop. Hopwood's pleasant
character is still welcoming to the visitors.